Terms of Service
Effective and Updated: 5/1/2011
Welcome & Introduction
These terms and conditions (the "Terms of Service") govern your access to and use of Hoppit's websites and other applications (mobile, tablet, and/or other) which link or reference to these Terms of Service (collectively, the "Service"). By using and/or accessing the Service you are agreeing to these Terms of Service. If you do not agree or are unwilling to be bound by the Terms of Service, do not use the Service. Your acceptance of these Terms of Service represent a legally binding contract with Hopscotch Group LLC ("Hoppit").
As it relates to these Terms of Service, "you" and "your" refer to you, as a user of the Service. A "user" is someone who accesses, browses, crawls, scrapes, or in any way uses the Service. "We", "us", and "our" refer to Hoppit. "Content" refers to text, images, photos, video, audio, location data, and any and/or all other forms of data or communication in connection with the Service. "Your Content" refers to the Content which you submit, record, transmit to, through, or in connection with the service. "Hoppit Content" refers to Content that we create and make available in connection with the Service. "User Content" refers to all Content that users submit, record, transmit to, through, or in connection with the Service. "Third Party Content" refers to all Content which originates from parties other than Hoppit or its users which is made available in connection with the Service. "Site Content" refers to all of the Content available in connection with the Service including Your Content, Hoppit Content, User Content, and Third Party Content.
We may revise these Terms of Service at any time. When we have revised the Terms of Service we will inform you by making the revised version available on this webpage and will indicate at the top of these Terms of Service the date that revisions were last made. You should visit this page periodically because your continued use of the Service will mean you accept the revised version effective upon our posting of the revised version, whether you have read it or not.
We grant you a limited, nonexclusive, non-transferable personal license to use the Service subject to the restrictions in this Terms of Service.
To use the Service, you must:
- be 18 years or older and have the requisite power and authority to enter into these Terms of Service;
- create a Hoppit account using true, accurate, current, and complete information using the Service's registration process;
- keep your Hoppit account information updated;
- accept responsibility for keeping your account password secure;
- agree to notify us immediately of any breach of security or unauthorized use of your account;
- accept responsibility for all activities that occur in connection with your account;
- not impersonate someone, create multiple user accounts, nor create an account for someone other than yourself;
- not be a competitor of ours;
- not be previously banned by us from using the service;
You may terminate the Terms of Service at any time by closing your account and, discontinuing the use of the Service. To close your account, you must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting that we close your account and include your name, username, address, and reason for closing the account. We will close your account as soon as we are able within ten business days. If you close your account, we may continue to display Your Content where it implicates other users. We may retain your account information and settings in case you choose to use the Service again in the future. Hoppit reserves the right to refuse registration of, suspend, or terminate a user account at its discretion for any or no reason without notice or liability of any kind. In the event of any termination, whether by you or us, the provisions in this Terms of Service which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination and remain in full force and effect including without limitation ownership provisions, warranties, disclaimers, indemnifications, and limitations of liability.
The Service is available for your personal, non-commercial use only. You understand that the Service may be modified, updated, suspended, interrupted, or discontinued at any time without notice or liability.
Your use of the service of the Service is at your own risk, including the risk that you might be exposed to Content which is offensive, indecent, inaccurate, objectionable, or otherwise inappropriate. Access to the Content may not be legal by certain persons or in certain countries. If you access the Service from outside the United States, you do so at your own risk and are responsible for compliance with the laws of your jurisdiction. These Terms of Service are void where prohibited by law, and the right to access the Service is revoked in such jurisdictions.
Responsibility & Rights
You alone are responsible for Your Content including its form, substance, accuracy and all other attributes. If Your Content is submitted or published in association with the Service, it cannot always be withdrawn. You assume all risks associated with Your Content, including anyone's reliance on its quality, accuracy, or reliability, or ability to use it to make you personally identifiable. You agree that you own, or have the necessary permissions to use, distribute, and/or authorize the use of Your Content. Hoppit does not endorse any User Content or opinion and you may not imply that Your Content is in any way endorsed or sponsored by Hoppit. Hoppit disclaims any and all liability in connection with User Content. You acknowledge that we shall have the right (but not the obligation) in our sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse, move, edit, remove, or reinstate any User Content with any or no reason and without notice to you. Additionally, you acknowledge we have no obligation to retain or provide you with copies of Your Content, nor do we guarantee any confidentiality with respect to Your Content. You may expose yourself to liability if Your Content is in violation of any right, law, or regulation such as in the case that Your Content is false, misleading; in violation of any third party rights including copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, privacy right or any other intellectual property right; contains material that is unlawful including illegal hate speech or pornography or exploits or otherwise harms minors.
You agree that we may use Your Content in ways including but not limited to displaying it publically, reformatting it, incorporating it into advertising and other works, creating derivative works from it, promoting it, distributing it, exploiting it, and/or allowing others to do the same in connection with their own websites, media platforms, and personal use. As such, you hereby grant us irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, transferable rights (including a waiver of any moral rights against Hoppit) to use Your Content for any purpose. You also grant the users of the Service the right to access Your Content (including a waiver of any moral rights against them) in connection with their use of the Service and/or in connection with their own websites, media platforms, and/or personal use. You also acknowledge that the holder of any rights that may exist related to Your Content has completely and effectively waived all such rights and validly and irrevocably granted to you the right to grant the license stated above. Additionally, Hoppit may publicly display advertisements and other information adjacent to or included with your content as well as grant permission to our licensees to do so. You are not entitled to any compensation for such advertisements and the manner, mode and extend of such advertising are subject to change without specific notice to you.
As between you and Hoppit (and subject to the rights you grant Hoppit in these Terms of Service), you own Your Content. Hoppit owns the Hoppit Content including but not limited to designs, text, graphics, images, data aggregations (such as ratings aggregations), compilations, software (including computer code), interactive features and all other components of the Service excluding Your Content, User Content, and Third Party Content. We also own the copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade names, and other intellectual and proprietary rights throughout the world associated with the Hoppit Content and the Service, which are protected by proprietary rights and laws. As such, you may not reproduce, modify, distribute, create derivative works or adaptations of, publicly display or in any way exploit any of the Hoppit Content in whole or in part except as explicitly authorized by us in writing. We do not grant you, except as expressly and unambiguously provided in these Terms of Service, any express or implied rights, and all rights in and to the Service and the Hoppit content are retained by us.
Hoppit will not permit copyright infringing activities or infringement of intellectual property rights on our Service and Hoppit will remove Content if properly notified that such Content infringes another's intellectual property rights. If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe that any Content infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") by providing us with the following information in writing:
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled and information reasonably sufficient to permit Hoppit to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit Hoppit to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an email address;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Hoppit will receive notifications of claimed infringement via the email inbox of email@example.com or via mail at Hopscotch Group LLC, P.O. Box 20468, New York, NY 10001-0468.
If Hoppit has removed some of Your Content (or disabled access to it) in response to a DMCA complaint by another person, and you believe that Your Content that was removed (or to which access was disabled) is not infringing, or that you have the authorization from the copyright owner, the copyright owner's agent, or pursuant to the law, to post and use the material in Your Content, you may send a counter-notice containing the following information to us:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- Identification of the Content that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the Content appeared before it was removed or disabled;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the Content was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the Content; and
- Your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address, a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the federal court in New York, NY, and a statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement.
If a counter-notice is received by Hoppit, we may send a copy of the counter-notice to the original complaining party informing that person that Hoppit may replace the removed Content or cease disabling it in 10 business days. Unless the copyright owner files an action seeking a court order against the content provider, member or user, the removed content may be replaced, or access to it restored, in 10 to 14 business days or more after receipt of the counter-notice, at Hoppit's sole discretion.
You agree not to, and you will not assist or enable others, to use the Service to:
- sell a product or service;
- solicit, for commercial purposes, any users;
- solicit personal information from minors;
- increase traffic to your website for commercial reasons;
- make available any content available which could be defined as unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or promotional materials;
- promote a business or any other commercial entity, venue, or event except where expressly permitted by Hoppit in writing;
- impersonate any person or entity, including but not limited to a Hoppit employee or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- pursue, threaten, stalk or harass others;
- send bulk communication such as emails, surveys or other mass messaging for any purpose not expressly permitted by Hoppit in writing;
- engage in key word spamming or otherwise attempt to manipulate the Service's search results on any third party website;
- violate any applicable law;
- transmit any computer viruses, worms, defects, Trojan Horses, or other items of a damaging nature.
You agree you will not to, and you will not assist or enable others to:
- use or launch any automated system, including without limitation: "robots," "spiders," or "offline readers," or use any similar method to access, retrieve, "scrape," or index Content or other items related to the Service;
- use any automated method to purposefully alter the recommendation or matching outcomes of the Service;
- use any method to purposefully bias the recommendation or matching outcomes of the Service beyond the intended influence of a single human reasonably using the Service's rating, review, and profile controls on a normal web browser;
- post any content that is unlawful, harassing, defamatory, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy;
- post, submit, or transmit pornography ;
- post any content that is racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- post any content that infringes on any rights of any party (including third parties) including any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual or proprietary rights;
- interfere with and/or disrupt the Service and/or violate the security of the Service or servers or networks connected to Hoppit;
- engage in any activity which imposes or may impose, as determined by us in our sole discretion, any impact on the Service or its related systems larger than what a single person could reasonably impose in a given amount of time using a normal web browser
- make, in our sole discretion, excessive demands on the Service or its related systems
- attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Service, user accounts or associated systems
- harvest, collect, process, mine, or record any personally identifiable information including but not limited to account usernames, photos, profile descriptions, reviews or other information from the Service;
- publish, distribute, or make publically available your account login information;
- adapt, modify, reproduce, distribute, translate, create a derivative work or adaption of, publicly display, sell, trade, or in any way exploit the Service or Site Content (other than your content), except as expressly authorized by Hoppit in writing;
- reverse engineer any portion of the Service;
- access , retrieve, or index any Content of the Service with the intention of populating or constructing a database related or unrelated to personality profiles, place reviews and/or ratings;
- frame or otherwise represent any portion of the Service;
- disable, circumvent, damage, remove or otherwise interfere with any security-related features of the Service;
except with authorized written permission from us. The restrictions above apply only to the extent permitted under applicable law.
You agree to receive a certain amount of communication from Hoppit and/or other users in connection with the Service including but not limited to Hoppit newsletters, general Service communications, invitations, comments, user follow requests, and/or messages. Additionally, you certify that any communication you provide to Hoppit including any ideas, suggestions, documents or proposals ("Communicated Ideas") may not contain the confidential or proprietary information of third parties. Further you recognize and herby grant ownership of all Communicated Ideas to Hoppit with irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide license to use, modify, publish, distribute, exploit, and sublicense the Communicated Ideas. You hold Hoppit under no obligation of confidentiality related to Communicated Ideas express or implied.
Additional Important Stuff
Entertainment & Accuracy Disclaimer
You recognize and understand that Hoppit uses a series of algorithms to combine the collective input of Hoppit users to generate recommendations, taste matches, and other relationships such as user-to-user, user-to-place, user-to-object, and place-to-place ("Recommendations"). Hoppit's Recommendations are intended to be used for informational and entertainment purposes only and not as a specific directive to take any given action. In no way do Hoppit's Recommendations represent specific opinions, preferences, or advice of Hoppit as an entity or its respective employees, directors, advisors, or investors. Hoppit Content or Recommendations should never be considered to be a substitute for professional advice or sound judgment. Hoppit in no way recommends taking actions which may be deemed illegal, risky, hurtful, or dangerous regardless of Site Content. Hoppit shall not be responsible or liable nor does it make any warranties, express or implied, for the accuracy, usefulness, or completeness of any Content and you agree you will not hold Hoppit responsible or liable for any decisions based on such Content.
Third Party Disclaimer
The Hoppit Service may contain links to other websites or applications ("Third Party Sites") that are not owned or controlled by Hoppit (including websites with whom we may have sponsorship or marketing relationships). We do not control or endorse any Third Party Sites. By using the Service you expressly agree that we are not responsible for, and you relieve us from all liability arising from, the availability and/or use of such Third Party Sites. You use Third Party Sites at your own risk and we encourage you to be aware of the terms and conditions associated with such Third Party Sites.
More Legal Stuff
"Hoppit," and associated marks, names, and logos are trademarks of Hopscotch Group LLC. All other marks, names, and logos mentioned on the Hoppit site or Service are trademarks of their respective owners. Your use of the Hoppit and other marks, copyrights, service marks, trade names, and other intellectual and proprietary rights set forth in the Service without prior express written consent of their respective owners is strictly prohibited.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Hoppit, its parents, subsidiaries, and any related companies and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, and advisors, and to defend them from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, including costs or debt, liabilities, and expenses (including but not limited to legal fees) from you or any third party arising from : (i) your access or use of the Hoppit Service; (ii) your violation of any term of these Terms of Service; (iii) your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, property, or privacy right; (iv) the infringement by you, or any third party using your account, of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity. Hoppit reserves the right, at your expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter for which you are required to indemnify us and you agree to cooperate with our defense of these claims. This defense and indemnification obligation will survive any termination of these Terms of Service or your cessation of use of the Hoppit Site.
You acknowledge the services, Content, Service, and any software are provided on an "as-is" basis, without warranties of any kind either express or implied. You further acknowledge that Hoppit has no control over and no duty to take action regarding:
- which users do or do not gain access to the Service;
- what Content you or other users access via the Service;
- the effects the Content may have on you or other users including how you may interpret or use that Content and what actions you may or may not take as a result of having been exposed to the Content.
You release Hoppit from all liability for your having acquired or not acquired Content through the Service. YOU RECOGNIZE AND AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF HOPPIT AND/OR THE SERVICES SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. HOPPIT AND ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, AND ADVISORS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICE AND YOUR USE THEREOF TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Limitations of Liability
PLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY. THIS SECTION LIMITS THE LIABILITY OF HOPPIT AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES , AFFILIATES, PARTNERS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, INVESTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, AND ADVISORS (COLLECTIVELY, THE "HOPPIT ENTITIES").
1) THE SERVICE AVAILABLE IS MADE AVAILABLE TO YOU ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE HOPPIT ENTITIES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, INACCURACIES, OR OMISSIONS OF CONTENT; (II) LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE BY THE SERVICE (III) INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM; (A) ANY ERRORS, MISTAKES, INACCURACIES, OR OMISSIONS OF CONTENT (B) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER RESULTUNG FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICE.
2) IN NO EVENT SHALL THE HOPPIT ENTITIES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM (I) UNATHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF YOUR CONTENT AND/OR IDENTITY; (II) ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE SERVICES OR RELATED HOPPIT SERVERS OR OTHER EQUIPMENT AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN (III) ANY OR ALL INTERACTION WITH THIRD PARTIES INCLUDING USERS OR BUSINESSES LISTED ON THE SERVICE; (IV) INTERUPPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM THE SERVICE ; (V) BUGS, WORMS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE, WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH THE SERVICE BY ANY THIRD PARTY.
3) THE HOPPIT ENTITIES' MAXIMUM AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO YOU FOR LOSSES OR DAMAGES THAT YOU SUFFER IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICE OR THESE TERMS OF SERVICE IS LIMITED TO $100 WHETHER OR NOT HOPPIT IS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. AS SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW FOR THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW IN THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION.
4) YOUR SOLE RIGHT AND REMEDY IN CASE OF DISSATISFACTION WITH THE SERVICE OR ANY OTHER GRIEVANCE SHALL BE YOUR TERMINATION AND DISCONTINUATION OF ACCESS TO, OR USE OF THE SERVICE.
5) HOPPIT SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR USER SUBMISSIONS OR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE, OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY. YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE RISK OF DAMAGE OR HARM FROM ANY THIRD PARTY CONTENT RESTS SOLELY WITH YOU.
The Service is offered and intended for use in the United States of America and Hoppit makes no representations of its appropriateness in other locations. Those who choose to access the Service outside the United States do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with the local laws of the applicable jurisdiction. Use of the Service, these Terms of Service, and the relationship between users and Hoppit shall be governed by the laws of the State of Delaware including any claim, cause of action, or dispute that might arise between you and Hoppit without regard to conflict of law provisions. YOU AGREE TO SUBMIT AND CONSENT TO THE PERSONAL EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION IN THE STATE AND FEDERAL COURTS OF DELAWARE.
Ability to Accept Terms of Service
Effective and Updated: 5/1/2011
What and Why
Hoppit collects two broad types of information from you in order to make the Site more useful, secure, and relevant to your tastes. User Provided Information is usually information which you supply to us in the standard use of the Site (creating an account, posting information, sending messages etc). Automatic Information is usually information which is provided to us by your computer, mobile device, browser, and/or a third party based on how you are using the Site (cookies, activity data, weblogs etc.). Below are outlined the types of User Provided and Automatic information we collect and how we use it.
User Provided Information
Account/Registration Information - We ask for certain information about you when you begin using the Site for the first time and create an account. This information includes items like your name, sign up location, email address, and account password. We can also import your account information from a third party to make your account creation faster and more reliable - in this case, we may access other information associated with that account made available by the third party. We use your name to create a profile name (first name last initial) which will make you identifiable by others on the Site and your sign up location to help deliver results which are relevant to your physical location. We use your email address to send you important Site information, provide important services related to your use of the Site, as well as to contact you on behalf of other users who have sent you messages. We may also use information such as your sign up location, birth-date, and gender (if you supply them) to display relevant advertising to you. You can manage your account information using the "profile" and "settings" pages.
Taste Information - When using the Site, we ask you to identify certain taste preferences you have related to certain food, drinks, activities and other categories. We also offer the option for you to answer additional poll questions in order to further refine your tastes. We use this information to help match you to other people and places which share or exhibit similar preferences or qualities as well as to help us improve the ways in which we establish those relationships. We may also use your taste information to display relevant advertising to you.
Public Content - You can contribute content to the Site such as place ratings, reviews, place details, messages, and additional personal profile information such as pictures, descriptions, etc. We may store these contributions, display them to other users, and/or use them for promotional purposes. Please be aware that the Public Content you contribute is often available to other users and we are not responsible for what you may include in your Public Content.
Communication - The Site includes services which allow you to message other users or potential users. We may store these messages including the associated contact information (such as email addresses and/or phone numbers) in order to deliver them and assist you in managing them.
Location Information - In order to provide a more relevant Site experience, we may collect information about your location if you choose to share it with us - whether by allowing a mobile device to provide us location information or by entering your location information into the Site. We may also use location information to display relevant advertising to you and/or highlight your ability to provide Public Content based on your location.
Invitations - The Site allows you to invite other potential users by providing their contact information such as an email address and/or phone number and/or by importing an address book from a third party site. We may store these potential users' contact information in order to contact them about registering with the Site - these potential users will always have the option of opting out of further communication from the Site.
Feedback - Users may also contact us about feedback regarding the Site using our contact form or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We may store these communications to help us respond to your feedback in the most effective way possible.
Third Party Services - Hoppit allows users to access third party services such as Facebook or Google, to share your select Public Content with those services and/or import information about who you are connected with on those other services. Some of those third party services may provide us additional information related to your account such as things you "like" , your birthday, and your gender. This Site functionality is not required and we will not send or receive this type of information with third party services unless you choose to utilize these features on the Site. You can also use the privacy settings on these third party sites to help manage your personal information.
Activity/Weblogs - We automatically store information about your use of the site such as your IP address, the pages you view, your browser type, any requested or referring URLs, the date and time of your visit as well as information associated with how you contact us. We use this information to help us improve and administer the site in order to maximize its usefulness for you as well as to perform analysis on interest and how the Site is used.
Hoppit protects your information and shares it only in controlled circumstances like the ones outlined in this section. It is important to note, however, that no method of data transmission over the internet is 100% secure. We work hard to protect your information and follow generally accepted standards of security to protect the information submitted to us both during transmission and after we receive it, but we cannot guarantee the absolute security of information on our Site.
Public Content - Information which you disclose on the public areas of the Site (such as reviews, star ratings, profile descriptions, etc.) may be distributed in whole or in part to a wider audience in including third parties so that they can publish it on their own media platforms. This content may be credited to you using your username and/or picture. Additionally, Public Content may be viewable by others on the Site at any time.
Third Party Partners - We may share information about you with some of our third party partners who work with us to provide technical support, customer support, tracking and reporting, testing, system development and other related activities. These third parties are not permitted to use your personal information except to provide the services for which we have partnered with them. We may also share non-personally identifiable information, including aggregate information, with third parties including some of our advertising partners. Some examples of this type of information might be the number of users who have clicked on a particular banner ad, or the number of users with a particular taste profile. We will not share personally identifiable information with third parties for direct marketing purposes (we hate spam).
Business Transfers - We may share your information with our parent, subsidiary, joint venture, or other companies under a common control that we have now or in the future. In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets, including the acquisition of our company - If these types of transactions occur, customer information may be one of the business assets transferred and the acquiring company will possess your information and assume the rights and obligations with respect to all the information described in this Policy.
Law - We may disclose your personal information when required by law, if we have good-faith belief that such an action is necessary to comply with a legal process and/or law enforcement instructions and orders, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, judicial proceeding, or other legal process; enforce or apply our Terms of Service and other agreements; and/or protect the rights, property, or safety of Hoppit, our employees, users, and/or others.
We may also disclose your personal information after notifying you and obtaining your consent.
A key component of securing your personal information is keeping your account password secure. In order to help keep your personal information safe and secure we recommend you keep your account password secure and always log off after visiting the Site when you have finished using a shared computer or mobile device. Hoppit also offers some customizable privacy settings to assist you in managing your information. You can visit the "profile" and "settings" pages to manage your personal information and privacy settings.
Additional Important Stuff
The Site is intended for use by those 18 years and older. It is not intended for children. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children. Please contact us if you believe your child has provided us with personally-identifiable information and we will take steps to remove this information and terminate the account.
By using the Site you agree that you have read, understood, and agree to this Policy and that you are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, and representations set forth in this Policy. You also agree that you have read, understood and agree to the Terms of Service and Content Guidelines for the Site. If you do not agree with this Policy, do not use the Site. Your continued use of the Site following the posting of changes to this Policy will mean that you accept those changes. If you have questions or concerns related to this Policy, please contact us at email@example.com or Hopscotch Group LLC, P.O. Box 20468 New York, NY 10001-0468.
Effective and Updated: 5/1/2011
Welcome to Hoppit - we're glad that you're here. As you probably already know, the Hoppit site and related applications allow you to submit and share several different types of content including reviews, profile descriptions, messages, pictures and more. While it's true that most people know what is appropriate for a community like ours, some people need reminding - so we have provided this set of guidelines that we need everyone to read and agree to prior to using Hoppit.
By using Hoppit, you're agreeing not to:
- use offensive language - language that might come across as harassing, defamatory, obscene, libelous, or invasive of another's privacy (we're going for PG on this one);
- use inappropriate images - please do not share anything which is sexually explicit, pornographic, or otherwise offensive including sexually, politically, racially, ethnically, or religiously hateful images (nudity in any degree has no place on Hoppit);
- expose someone else's privacy - we all want to feel safe and secure. In general, there is no reason to post people's full names, phone numbers, email addresses, pictures, or other personally-identifiable information (we abhor stalking and identity theft);
- try to sell stuff - we have no doubt that your website will be a booming success, but Hoppit isn't the place to promote it. Unless you're a business owner managing your business profile, please do not use Hoppit to promote your latest cause, whatever it may be (we know it's probably really cool, please keep it to yourself);
- steal - intellectual property is still property. Please do not use someone else's content without their permission (feel free to buy a dictionary and a camera if you need help being original);
- troll - stirring up trouble because it's fun for you is a bad reason to do it, please keep Hoppit a constructive place to be (trolls are ugly and usually have large warts on their faces);
- be a criminal - posting anything illegal or using Hoppit to pursue illegal activities will not be tolerated (we have good friends who are police officers);
- post site irrelevant stuff - the review system does not exist for you to express your detailed feelings about religion, politics, or other personal beliefs (coffee shops are great places for those conversations)
More Helpful Tips
We really like it when you write reviews to go along with your ratings. It's helpful for everyone in our community. The best reviews:
- are truthful and personal without using too much hyperbole or being overly negative
- are original (copycatters and re-posts aren't helpful)
- have some specifics about why a place was or was not a good match to your taste
- are bias free and objective (having all your employees rate your deli 5 stars is a bad plan)
- have decent grammar (uisng dceent egnslih is imorptnat)
It seems there is always someone who isn't quite sure how best to use the star system - so here's a cheat sheet:
- 1 Star = This place is just simply not for me, in any way
- 2 Stars = I'm not a fan - been to worse, but been to much better
- 3 Stars = This place was about as plain vanilla to me as they come
- 4 Stars = I enjoyed this place quite a bit
- 5 Stars = This was an excellent place that I definitely want to go to again
We encourage you to rate as many places as you have been. The more places you rate, the smarter the system becomes and the better taste matches you'll end up getting.
One of the cool tools on Hoppit is our messaging feature. While it's true that messages you send are intended only for the recipient, these messages are not private. Also, spam is equivalent to hate mail in our book. Please follow the same guidelines for messaging as for posting to other public areas. The messaging feature is not meant to be used to harass others or send inappropriate content and if we find out that's what you're doing, you'll be in big trouble (like potentially having your account terminated).
As we've mentioned, Hoppit allows you to share some pictures - particularly your profile picture. This is meant to be a great way to express and give yourself some personality in our community. It's important to remember, however, that pictures should be PG. Showing too much skin or using this functionality to post otherwise inappropriate photos (anything lewd, graphic, hateful, illegal, violent, etc.) is a great way to get your content removed and/or your account terminated.
In general, our content guidelines can be summed up roughly in three common principles:
1. Mom's advice - keep it clean
2. The Golden Rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you
3. The old adage - If you can't say something nice ... use constructive feedback to provide an accurate representation of your fair but non-universal opinion.
Thanks again for joining us on Hoppit.